Friday, March 24, 2006

Yard Sales and Gardens and Jan

Today the neighborhood where we live had a yard sale - there were around 26 homes participating, so there was lots of traffic going through. It was fun to participate, meet new neighbors and sell things I don't really need anymore. (It even surprised me that I had things to get rid of since we had gotten rid of so much when we moved last year. )

As I was preparing for the sale this week, and then selling things today, I had many good memories of going yard saling with Jan. Her enthusiasm for bargain hunting was contagious. I had fun remembering our annual treks to Maine with a van load of ladies, leaving at 4 AM, watching Jan mark out the sale locations on her map, and then her good navigation skills as she guided us around the city. We all ended up with lovely bargains, had good laughs and friendly competition as we would race to see who could get out of the van first and grab all the good bargains.

I was debating what to do with the proceeds of my sale today, until I thought of Jan, and the yard sale memories, and her love for plants and gardens. So, I thought, Aha! The funds are going towards plants to put in a garden area in our front lawn. It looks pretty generic at the moment, and needs lots of color so it will be a joy to put lots of colorful perennials in that will remind me of Jan. I can look at it and be reminded of so many good memories.

And, I can look out at my "Jan Garden", and be reminded of that glorious time in the future when we all will be enjoying our heavenly mansions, and there will be tears no more. She is in that enviable spot now but we all will be joining her before long. What a grand day that will be

Thanks Jan, for the memories.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Aaaw...what a sweet idea.

Kate said...

how lovely!