Friday, March 31, 2006

New Neighbors

Some new neighbors are moving in behind us! Construction has started on several homes in the fields in back of us, and we have of course been wondering what our new neighbors would be like.

Well, there is a nice couple moving into the home that is being built right in back of us- I haven't met them personally but from watching them it would seem they would be very congenial.

The interesting thing is that the home is still under construction, so this couple has decided to do their own decorating and building on the side- literally.

This new couple is Mr. and Mrs. Phoebe, and they are happily building a nest on the side of the new home under construction, inside a hooded vent! It has been extremely interesting to watch the progress- and the patience they demonstrate as they take one stick at a time into the vent. They enjoy sitting on the branches of the dead tree currently taking up space in our back yard. They will sit there and preen and sing and just plain enjoy life and the sunshine around them.

I have been encouraged and blessed watching them fly around, and doing all the things that phoebe's do. After going several months without noticing many birds in our area, it is a huge blessing to be noticing new ones each day- now I just trust the construction workers don't notice this little bit of nest building going on in the home they are building!

Max, I might add, really enjoys sitting on his perch watching all his feathered friends flying around. He would love to interact with them on a more personal basis, but since he is an inside cat, he has to be content to just observe.

2 comments:

Brad said...

The tree is not dead! I have personally seen the buds on it. Give it a chance.

Mrs. RF said...

I will admit, I have seen the leaves myself. It has only looked dead for months- since we moved in last October. I was mistooken. Ok, little tree, I will let you live a while longer.